Hey I'm Austen, a concept artist & illustrator from Perth, Western Australia who loves drawing monsters! I've been drawing all my life and for the last 7 years have been working freelance on a variety of projects creating fantasy, science fiction & horror artworks and illustrations for video games, comics, album covers, film projects and other publications.
As well as enjoying bringing ideas to life for art directors and publishers - my real passion is for developing and working on my own projects Execution, My Shadows and Scary Sketches. I've also been exhibiting at pop culture conventions around Australia and sharing my Photoshop process through online tutorials and live demo workshops on my YouTube Channel.
I love creating warped and unique characters, creatures and illustrations - and have had a lot of experience with coming up with concepts and variations, both traditionally in a sketchbook and digitally with a Wacom tablet & Photoshop. Feel free to contact me if you're interested in working together, whether it be for creating new artwork or licensing existing work for use.
Thanks for looking at my monsters (play nice) and all the best!
- Austen Mengler
- 2017 - Dark Art Tarot Project
- 2017 - Pogo - Undone
- 2016 - Alex - Film Project
- 2016 - Gore Shriek
- 2016 - OiOiOi! Magazine
- 2015 - Jet Set Trash Records
- 2015 - Grimdark Magazine
- 2014 - Perth Artists
- 2014 - Aurealis Magazine
- 2012 - Romantically Apocalyptic
- 2011 - UWA - Pelican Magazine
- 2016 - Art Talk at Chaos Pop Culture #3
- 2016 - Live Demo Workshop at Perth Supanova
- 2015- present - Fezilla Studio Galley - Melbourne
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Brisbane Supanova
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Sydney Supanova
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Perth Oz Comic-Con
- 2014 - "I Will Not Be Denied..." artwork featured at BlizzCon 2015
- 2014 - present - Good Games Cannington - Perth
- 2016 - Encounter Table Publishing - Aethera - Illustration
- 2015 - Posthuman Studios - Eclipse Phase (X-Risks) - Illustration
- 2014 - Good Games Cannington - Play-mat Illustration
- 2014 - Optimystic MC - 'Day of the Guiding Light' Album Artwork
- 2013 - Fringe Games "WAR HAVEN" - Card Illustration
- 2013 - Rough House Publishing - ZOMBIE - Comic Colourist
- 2012-2013 - Method To Madness Studios - Dear Charlotte -
Concept Artist - designed characters & creatures for the game.
- 2011, 2013 - Winterfold - "DESPONDENCY" Album Artwork
- 2011 - Horror Film Project - Creature Design
- 2011 - Within Destruction - Album Artwork
- 2011 - Chicksy Dicks - Album Artwork
- 2011 - Ferocious Mind - Album Artwork
- 2010 - Sinister Grin Press - Bookmark Illustration
- 2010 - Eastpoint Records - "Lunar See" Album Artwork
- 2006 - Australian Water Corporation - Dial Before You Dig - Kid's Colouring Book
- Curtin University of Technology [2009 - 2011] - Bachelor of Arts: Design (Major in Illustration)
- Applecross Senior High School [2004 - 2008] - Special Art Program
VIDEO FEATURE - PERTH ARTISTS (2014)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What medium do you work in?
A: The majority of my work starts as pencil and ink sketches that I then scan and take in Photoshop. I use a Wacom intuos pro tablet to digitally paint my artworks, and to see more about my behind the scenes process you can check out my videos and tutorials on my Youtube Channel.
Q: Are you available for commissions?
A: At the moment I'm not accepting private commissions as I'm devoting all my time to my own projects, exhibiting at conventions and getting published work with game companies and developers, but thank you for the interest! Feel free to email me about business inquiries at email@example.com
Q: Do you sell prints online?
A: Yes! my online store that I run myself from my home studio is here. There are signed prints, art books and original drawings available for order.
You can also check out my third party print stores at INPRNT, Society6 or Redbubble, or read more about them here.
Q: Is your artwork available for licensing?
A: If you're interested in buying a license to use my artwork in your publication or project, feel free to message me at firstname.lastname@example.org with as much information as possible.
For my extended F.A.Q, be sure to check my deviantART journal here. Thanks!