Hey I'm Austen, a concept artist & illustrator from Perth, Western Australia who loves creating monsters! I've been drawing them all my life, and for the last 9 years have been working freelance on a variety of projects creating fantasy, science fiction & horror concept art & illustrations for video games, comics, album covers, film projects, board games and other publications.
As well as enjoying bringing ideas to life for art directors and publishers - my real passion is for developing and working on my own projects Execution, My Shadows and Scary Sketches. I've also been exhibiting at pop culture conventions around Australia for the last 4 years and it's been a blast sharing my work with fellow gaming and horror fans. To share more of my design process I also have a collection of video tutorials, speed paintings & live demo workshops, which you can check out on my YouTube Channel.
I love creating warped and unique characters, creatures and illustrations - and have had a lot of experience with coming up with concepts and variations, both traditionally in a sketchbook and digitally with a Wacom tablet & Photoshop. Feel free to contact me if you're interested in working together, whether it be for creating new artwork or licensing existing work for use.
Thanks for looking at my monsters (play nice) and all the best!
- Austen Mengler
Phone: (+61) 0447619624
- 2017 - The Faceless Man - Kickstarter
- 2017 - Dark Art Tarot Project
- 2017 - Pogo - Undone
- 2016 - Scary Sketches Volume 01 (self-published)
- 2016 - Alex - Film Project
- 2016 - Gore Shriek
- 2016 - OiOiOi! Magazine
- 2015 - Jet Set Trash Records
- 2015 - Grimdark Magazine
- 2014 - My Shadows Volume 01 (self-published)
- 2014 - Perth Artists
- 2014 - Aurealis Magazine
- 2012 - Romantically Apocalyptic
- 2011 - UWA - Pelican Magazine
- 2011 - Assorted Volume 05
- 2016 - RahCon - City of Mandurah - Pop Culture Exhibition
- 2016 - Art Talk at Chaos Pop Culture #3
- 2016 - Live Demo Workshop at Perth Supanova
- 2015- present - Fezilla Studio Galley - Melbourne
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Brisbane Supanova
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Sydney Supanova
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Perth Oz Comic-Con
- 2014 - "I Will Not Be Denied..." artwork featured at BlizzCon 2015
- 2014 - present - Good Games Cannington - Perth
- 2011 - Curtin Design Graduate Showcase 2011
- Daily Deviation Award - deviantART - HARLEY QUINN
- Daily Deviation Award 2013 - deviantART - Jon Snow
- Daily Deviation Award 2012 - deviantART - ZOMBIE ME
- Daily Deviation Award 2011 - deviantART - B is for BRAINS
- Daily Deviation Award 2009 - deviantART - CHAINSAW CHARLIE
- The 2002 National Cartooning Competition - State Finalist
- 2018 - present - Unannounced Game Project
- 2017 - present - The Faceless Man - Sole Concept Artist for Upcoming Film Project
- 2017- present - Unannounced Film Project
- 2016 - Encounter Table Publishing - Aethera - 4 x Creature Illustrations
- 2015 - Posthuman Studios - Eclipse Phase - 3 x Creature Illustrations
- 2014 - Concept Artwork for Unnanounced Film Project
- 2014 - Good Games Cannington - Play-mat Illustration
- 2014 - Optimystic MC - Day of the Guiding Light (2016) - Album Artwork
- 2013 - Fringe Games - WAR HAVEN - Creature Design & Illustration
- 2013 - Rough House Publishing - ZOMBIE Graphic Novel - Colourist
- 2012-2013 - Method To Madness Studios - Dear Charlotte - Concept Artist.
- 2011, 2013 - Winterfold - Isolation, Clarity, Despondency - Artworks
- 2012 - Genie's Gifts App - Logo Design
- 2011 - Curtin University Student Guild - Ignite Ball - Ticket Illustration
- 2011 - Curtin University Student Guild - Engineer Club T-shirt Design
- 2011 - Horror Film Project - Creature Design & Illustration
- 2011 - Within Destruction - Album Artworks
- 2011 - Chicksy Dicks - Album Artwork, Logo & Packaging Design
- 2011 - Ferocious Mind - Album Artwork
- 2010 - Sinister Grin Press - Bookmark Illustration
- 2010 - Eastpoint Records - "Lunar See" Album Artwork
- 2006 - Australian Water Corporation - Dial Before You Dig - Kid's Colouring Book
- Met & discussed my Game of Thrones "Winter Has Come" parody fan art series with George R. R. Martin at Supanova Brisbane 2013!
- Ricky Gervais shared my zombie portrait of him for Halloween!
- 'The Cursed King' - made the front page of Reddit /Art.
- Gifted Millie Bobbie Brown a copy of my "Stranger Danger" artwork at Supanova Adelaide 2017!
- Curtin University of Technology [2009 - 2011]
- Graduated with Bachelor of Arts: Design (Major in Illustration)
- Applecross Senior High School [2004 - 2008] (Scholarship)
- Took part in the extra-curricular Special Art scholarship program