Hey I'm Austen, a concept artist & illustrator from Perth, Western Australia who loves creating monsters! I've been drawing them all my life, and for the last 9 years have been working freelance on a variety of projects creating fantasy, science fiction & horror concept art & illustrations for video games, comics, album covers, film projects, board games and other publications.
As well as enjoying bringing ideas to life for art directors and publishers - my real passion is for developing and working on my own projects Execution, My Shadows and Scary Sketches. I've also been exhibiting at pop culture conventions around Australia for the last 4 years and it's been a blast sharing my work with fellow gaming and horror fans. To share more of my design process I also have a collection of video tutorials, speed paintings & live demo workshops, which you can check out on my YouTube Channel.
I love creating warped and unique characters, creatures and illustrations - and have had a lot of experience with coming up with concepts and variations, both traditionally in a sketchbook and digitally with a Wacom tablet & Photoshop. Feel free to contact me if you're interested in working together, whether it be for creating new artwork or licensing existing work for use.
Thanks for looking at my monsters (play nice) and all the best!
- Austen Mengler
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For my extended F.A.Q, be sure to check it out here.
Q: What medium do you work in?
A: The majority of my work starts as pencil and ink sketches that I then scan and take in Photoshop. I use a Wacom intuos pro tablet to digitally paint my artworks, and to see more about my behind the scenes process you can check out my videos and tutorials on my Youtube Channel.
Q: Are you available for commissions?
A: At the moment I'm devoting most of my time to my own projects, exhibiting at conventions and aiming for freelance work with game companies and developers, but if you're interested in any sort of business inquiry feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: Do you sell prints online?
A: Yes! my online store that I run myself from my home studio is here. There are signed prints, art books and original drawings available for order.
You can also check out my third party print stores at INPRNT, Society6 or Redbubble, or read more about them here.
Q: Is your artwork available for licensing?
A: If you're interested in buying a license to use my artwork in your publication or project, feel free to message me at email@example.com with as much information as possible.
- 2017 - Dark Art Tarot Project
- 2017 - Pogo - Undone
- 2016 - Scary Sketches Volume 01 (self-published)
- 2016 - Alex - Film Project
- 2016 - Gore Shriek
- 2016 - OiOiOi! Magazine
- 2015 - Jet Set Trash Records
- 2015 - Grimdark Magazine
- 2014 - My Shadows Volume 01 (self-published)
- 2014 - Perth Artists
- 2014 - Aurealis Magazine
- 2012 - Romantically Apocalyptic
- 2011 - UWA - Pelican Magazine
- 2011 - Assorted Volume 05
- 2016 - RahCon - City of Mandurah - Pop Culture Exhibition
- 2016 - Art Talk at Chaos Pop Culture #3
- 2016 - Live Demo Workshop at Perth Supanova
- 2015- present - Fezilla Studio Galley - Melbourne
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Brisbane Supanova
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Sydney Supanova
- 2015 - Live Demo Workshop at Perth Oz Comic-Con
- 2014 - "I Will Not Be Denied..." artwork featured at BlizzCon 2015
- 2014 - present - Good Games Cannington - Perth
- 2011 - Curtin Design Graduate Showcase 2011
- 2018 - Unnanounced Film Project
- 2017-2018 - Unannounced Film Project
- 2016 - Encounter Table Publishing - Aethera - Creature Illustration
- 2015 - Posthuman Studios - Eclipse Phase - Creature Illustration
- 2014 - Concept Artwork for Unnanounced Film Project
- 2014 - Good Games Cannington - Play-mat Illustration
- 2014 - Optimystic MC - Day of the Guiding Light (2016) - Album Artwork
- 2013 - Fringe Games - WAR HAVEN - Creature Design & Illustration
- 2013 - Rough House Publishing - ZOMBIE Graphic Novel - Colourist
- 2012-2013 - Method To Madness Studios - Dear Charlotte -
Concept Artist - designed characters & creatures for the game.
- 2011, 2013 - Winterfold - Isolation, Clarity, Despondency - Artworks
- 2012 - Genie's Gifts App - Logo Design
- 2011 - Curtin University Student Guild - Ignite Ball - Ticket Illustration
- 2011 - Curtin University Student Guild - Engineer Club T-shirt Design
- 2011 - Horror Film Project - Creature Design & Illustration
- 2011 - Within Destruction - Album Artworks
- 2011 - Chicksy Dicks - Album Artwork, Logo & Packaging Design
- 2011 - Ferocious Mind - Album Artwork
- 2010 - Sinister Grin Press - Bookmark Illustration
- 2010 - Eastpoint Records - "Lunar See" Album Artwork
- 2006 - Australian Water Corporation - Dial Before You Dig - Kid's Colouring Book
- Ricky Gervais shared my zombie portrait of him for Halloween!
- 'The Cursed King' - made the front page of Reddit /Art.
- Daily Deviation Award - deviantART - HARLEY QUINN
- Daily Deviation Award 2013 - deviantART - Jon Snow
- Daily Deviation Award 2012 - deviantART - ZOMBIE ME
- Daily Deviation Award 2011 - deviantART - B is for BRAINS
- Daily Deviation Award 2009 - deviantART - CHAINSAW CHARLIE
- The 2002 National Cartooning Competition - State Finalist
- Curtin University of Technology [2009 - 2011]
- Graduated with Bachelor of Arts: Design (Major in Illustration)
- Applecross Senior High School [2004 - 2008] (Scholarship)
- Took part in the extra-curricular Special Art scholarship program